Node.js in Action is an example-driven tutorial that starts at square one and goes through all the features, techniques, and concepts needed to build production-quality Node applications. First it shows how to set up a Node development environment and the community-created extensions. Then it runs through some simple demonstration programs and introduces asynchronous programming, a requirement for real-time applications such as chat, online games, and live statistics. It also shows how to create serious web applications using Node’s HTTP API and introduces community frameworks that make web development easier and faster.
List Price: $ 39.99
Price: $ 21.09
List Price: $ 12.49
Price: $ 12.49
The Definitive Guide to HTML5 provides the breadth of information you’ll need to start creating the next generation of HTML5 websites. It covers all the base knowledge required for standards-compliant, semantic, modern website creation. It also covers the full HTML5 ecosystem and the associated APIs that complement the core HTML5 language.
The final part of the book covers the associated W3C APIs that surround the HTML5 specification. You will achieve a thorough working knowledge of the Geolocation API, web storage, creating offline applications, and the new drag and drop functionality. The Definitive Guide to HTML5 also dives into the key media enhancements of HTML5 and its surrounding technologies: Canvas, video and audio.
What you’ll learn
- How to use all of the core features of HTML5
- How to make the most of the APIs that surround HTML5, such as Geolocation, Web Storage, and drag and drop
- How to leverage the media capabilities of the modern web: Canvas, audio, and video
Who this book is for
Web developers and designers who want to increase their HTML5 skills to create modern, standards-compliant websites.
Table of Contents
- Putting HTML in Context
- Getting Ready
- Getting Started with HTML
- Getting Started with CSS
- HTML Elements in Context
- Creating HTML Documents
- Marking Up Text
- Grouping Content
- Creating Sections
- Working with Tables
- Working with Forms
- Customizing the Input Element
- Other Forms Elements & Input Validation
- Embedding Content
- CSS In Context
- Using the CSS Selectors – Part I
- Using the CSS Selectors – Part II
- Using Borders &Backgrounds
- Working with the Box Model
- Creating Layouts
- Styling Text
- Transitions, Animations & Transforms
- Other CSS Properties & Features
- The DOM in Context
- Working with the Document Object
- Working with the Window Object
- Working with DOM Elements
- Styling DOM Elements
- Working with Events
- Using the Element-Specific Objects
- Using Ajax – Part I
- Using Ajax – Part II
- Working with Multimedia
- Using the Canvas – Part I
- Using the Canvas – Part II
- Using Drag & Drop
- Using Geolocation
- Using Web Storage
- Creating Offline Applications
List Price: $ 44.99
Price: $ 25.10
This book will help you:
- Understand PHP essentials and the basics of object-oriented programming
- Master MySQL, from database structure to complex queries
- Create web pages with PHP and MySQL by integrating forms and other HTML features
- Use libraries and packages, including the Smarty web template system, PEAR program repository, and the Yahoo! User Interface Library
- Make Ajax calls and turn your website into a highly dynamic environment
- Upload and manipulate files and images, validate user input, and secure your applications
List Price: $ 39.99
Price: $ 22.31
PHP and MySQL are popular open-source technologies that are ideal for quickly developing database-driven Web applications. PHP is a powerful scripting language designed to enable developers to create highly featured Web applications quickly, and MySQL is a fast, reliable database that integrates well with PHP and is suited for dynamic Internet-based applications.
PHP and MySQL Web Development shows how to use these tools together to produce effective, interactive Web applications. It clearly describes the basics of the PHP language, explains how to set up and work with a MySQL database, and then shows how to use PHP to interact with the database and the server.
This practical, hands-on book includes numerous examples that demonstrate common tasks such as authenticating users, constructing a shopping cart, generating PDF documents and images dynamically, sending and managing email, facilitating user discussions, connecting to Web services using XML, and developing Web 2.0 applications with Ajax-based interactivity.
The fourth edition of PHP and MySQL Web Development has been thoroughly updated, revised, and expanded to cover developments in PHP 5 through version 5.3, such as namespaces and closures, as well as features introduced in MySQL 5.1.
List Price: $ 54.99
Price: $ 29.43
- Understand Node’s event-loop architecture, non-blocking I/O, and event-driven programming
- Discover how Node supports a variety of database and data storage tools
- Learn best practices for writing easy-to-maintain code for Node
- Get concrete examples of how to use the various Node APIs in practice
- Take advantage of the book’s complete API reference
List Price: $ 34.99
Price: $ 23.54
- ISBN13: 9780596802448
- Condition: New
- Notes: BRAND NEW FROM PUBLISHER! 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Tracking provided on most orders. Buy with Confidence! Millions of books sold!
Cascading Style Sheets can turn humdrum websites into highly-functional, professional-looking destinations, but many designers merely treat CSS as window-dressing to spruce up their site’s appearance. You can tap into the real power of this tool with CSS: The Missing Manual. This second edition combines crystal-clear explanations, real-world examples, and dozens of step-by-step tutorials to show you how to design sites with CSS that work consistently across browsers. Witty and entertaining, this second edition gives you up-to-the-minute pro techniques. You’ll learn how to:
- Create HTML that’s simpler, uses less code, is search-engine friendly, and works well with CSS
- Style text by changing fonts, colors, font sizes, and adding borders
- Turn simple HTML links into complex and attractive navigation bars — complete with rollover effects
- Create effective photo galleries and special effects, including drop shadows
- Get up to speed on CSS 3 properties that work in the latest browser versions
- Build complex layouts using CSS, including multi-column designs
- Style web pages for printing
With CSS: The Missing Manual, Second Edition, you’ll find all-new online tutorial pages, expanded CSS 3 coverage, and broad support for Firebox, Safari, and other major web browsers, including Internet Explorer 8. Learn how to use CSS effectively to build new websites, or refurbish old sites that are due for an upgrade.
List Price: $ 34.99
Price: $ 18.55
If you’ve mastered Python’s fundamentals, you’re ready to start using it to get real work done. Programming Python will show you how, with in-depth tutorials on the language’s primary application domains: system administration, GUIs, and the Web. You’ll also explore how Python is used in databases, networking, front-end scripting layers, text processing, and more. This book focuses on commonly used tools and libraries to give you a comprehensive understanding of Python’s many roles in practical, real-world programming.
You’ll learn language syntax and programming techniques in a clear and concise manner, with lots of examples that illustrate both correct usage and common idioms. Completely updated for version 3.x, Programming Python also delves into the language as a software development tool, with many code examples scaled specifically for that purpose.
- Quick Python tour: Build a simple demo that includes data representation, object-oriented programming, object persistence, GUIs, and website basics
- System programming: Explore system interface tools and techniques for command-line scripting, processing files and folders, running programs in parallel, and more
- GUI programming: Learn to use Python’s tkinter widget library
- Internet programming: Access client-side network protocols and email tools, use CGI scripts, and learn website implementation techniques
- More ways to apply Python: Implement data structures, parse text-based information, interface with databases, and extend and embed Python
List Price: $ 64.99
Price: $ 35.99
HTML5: Everyone’s using it, nobody knows what it is. I realize that sounds more like a line out of an existential movie — maybe Waiting for Godot or a screenplay by Sartre — than a statement about HTML5. But it’s really the truth: most of the people using HTML5 are treating it as HTML4+, or even worse, HTML4 (and some stuff they don’t use). The result? A real delay in the paradigm shift that HTML5 is almost certain to bring. It’s certainly not time to look away, because by the time you look back, you may have missed something really important: a subtle but important transition centered around HTML5.
List Price: $ 0.99
Is Ajax a new technology, or the same old stuff web developers have been using for years? Both, actually. This book demonstrates not only how tried-and-true web standards make Ajax possible, but how these older technologies allow you to give sites a decidedly modern Web 2.0 feel.
The book also explains:
- How to connect server-side backend components to user interfaces in the browser
- Loading and manipulating XML documents, and how to replace XML with JSON
- Manipulating the Document Object Model (DOM)
- Designing Ajax interfaces for usability, functionality, visualization, and accessibility
- Site navigation layout, including issues with Ajax and the browser’s back button
- Adding life to tables & lists, navigation boxes and windows
- Animation creation, interactive forms, and data validation
- Search, web services and mash-ups
- Applying Ajax to business communications, and creating Internet games without plug-ins
- The advantages of modular coding, ways to optimize Ajax applications, and more
List Price: $ 49.99
Price: $ 21.54