The Definitive Guide to Ajax Web Application Development
Evolve from the click-and-wait programming pattern to the latest Web 2.0 paradigm using this comprehensive guide to Ajax. Written by Web development expert Thomas Powell, the book lays out every feature of Ajax alongside detailed explanations and real-world code examples.
Explore all the quirks and details in the XMLHttpRequest object
Handle disparate data formats, including XML, JSON, CSV, YAML, and more
Deal with networking issues, including timeouts, retries, response ordering, and a variety of server and content errors
Secure Ajax applications using authentication, obfuscation, and encryption
- Implement common Ajax UI patterns such as auto suggest, click-to-edit, and drag-and-drop
Solve troubling Ajax architecture problems, including back button, history, and bookmarking issues
Learn Ajax’s role in Web 2.0 and Web services
Explore push style communication using Comet and Flash
Discover the future of offline Web application access and operation
List Price: $ 49.99
Price: $ 25.75
Learn to make more efficient apps, with just one language!
- Contains numerous hands-on examples
- Explains implementation of real-time apps including Socket.IO and HTML5, and WebSockets
- Addresses practical Node.js advantages from specific design choices
- Includes an interactive online component with sample chapters
- Explains components of stand out apps including brevity and benchmarks
List Price: $ 44.99
Price: $ 23.73
Web Design Inspiration at a Glance
Volume 2 of The Web Designer’s Idea Book includes more than 650 new websites arranged thematically, so you can easily find inspiration for your work. Author Patrick McNeil, creator of the popular web design blog designmeltdown.com and author of the original bestselling Web Designer’s Idea Book, has cataloged thousands of sites, and showcases the latest and best examples in this book. The web is the most rapidly changing design medium, and this book offers an organized overview of what’s happening right now. Sites are categorized by type, design element, styles and themes, structural styles, and structural elements. This new volume also includes a helpful chapter explaining basic design principles and how they can be applied online. Whether you’re brainstorming with a coworker or explaining your ideas to a client, this book provides a powerful communication tool you can use to jump start your next project.
List Price: $ 30.00
Price: $ 15.99
The Quick Python Book, Second Edition, is a clear, concise introduction to Python 3, aimed at programmers new to Python. This updated edition includes all the changes in Python 3, itself a significant shift from earlier versions of Python.
The book begins with basic but useful programs that teach the core features of syntax, control flow, and data structures. It then moves to larger applications involving code management, object-oriented programming, web development, and converting code from earlier versions of Python.
True to his audience of experienced developers, the author covers common programming language features concisely, while giving more detail to those features unique to Python.
List Price: $ 39.99
Price: $ 22.70
This second edition of The Principles of Beautiful Web Design is the ideal book for people who can build websites, but are seeking the skills and knowledge to visually enhance their sites.
This book will teach you how to:
- Understand the process of what makes “good design,” from discovery through to implementation
- Use color effectively, develop color schemes, and create a palette
- Create pleasing layouts using grids, the rule of thirds, and symmetry
- Employ textures: lines, points, shapes, volumes, and depth
- Apply typography to make ordinary designs look great
- Choose, edit, and position effective imagery
And lots more…
This revised, easy-to-follow guide is illustrated with beautiful, full-color examples, and leads readers through the process of creating great designs from start to finish.
It also features:
- Updated information about grid-based design
- How to design for mobile resolutions
- Information about the future of web fonts including @font-face
- Common user-interface patterns and resources
List Price: $ 39.95
Price: $ 22.68
Everything you need to know to create professional web sites is right here. Learning Web Design starts from the beginning — defining how the Web and web pages work — and builds from there. By the end of the book, you’ll have the skills to create multi-column CSS layouts with optimized graphic files, and you’ll know how to get your pages up on the Web.
This thoroughly revised edition teaches you how to build web sites according to modern design practices and professional standards. Learning Web Design explains:
- How to create a simple (X)HTML page, how to add links and images
- Everything you need to know about web standards — (X)HTML, DTDs, and more
- Cascading Style Sheets — formatting text, colors and backgrounds, using the box model, page layout, and more
- All about web graphics, and how to make them lean and mean through optimization
- The site development process, from start to finish
- Getting your pages on the Web — hosting, domain names, and FTP
The book includes exercises to help you to learn various techniques, and short quizzes to make sure you’re up to speed with key concepts. If you’re interested in web design, Learning Web Design is the place to start.
List Price: $ 44.99
Price: $ 23.98
List Price: $ 12.49
Price: $ 12.49
- Understand Node’s event-loop architecture, non-blocking I/O, and event-driven programming
- Discover how Node supports a variety of database and data storage tools
- Learn best practices for writing easy-to-maintain code for Node
- Get concrete examples of how to use the various Node APIs in practice
- Take advantage of the book’s complete API reference
List Price: $ 34.99
Price: $ 23.54
Is Ajax a new technology, or the same old stuff web developers have been using for years? Both, actually. This book demonstrates not only how tried-and-true web standards make Ajax possible, but how these older technologies allow you to give sites a decidedly modern Web 2.0 feel.
The book also explains:
- How to connect server-side backend components to user interfaces in the browser
- Loading and manipulating XML documents, and how to replace XML with JSON
- Manipulating the Document Object Model (DOM)
- Designing Ajax interfaces for usability, functionality, visualization, and accessibility
- Site navigation layout, including issues with Ajax and the browser’s back button
- Adding life to tables & lists, navigation boxes and windows
- Animation creation, interactive forms, and data validation
- Search, web services and mash-ups
- Applying Ajax to business communications, and creating Internet games without plug-ins
- The advantages of modular coding, ways to optimize Ajax applications, and more
List Price: $ 49.99
Price: $ 21.54
This is the second edition of John Zelle’s Python Programming, updated for Python 3. This book is designed to be used as the primary textbook in a college-level first course in computing. It takes a fairly traditional approach, emphasizing problem solving, design, and programming as the core skills of computer science. However, these ideas are illustrated using a non-traditional language, namely Python. Although Python is used as the language, teaching Python is not the main point of this book. Rather, Python is used to illustrate fundamental principles of design and programming that apply in any language or computing environment. In some places, I have purposely avoided certain Python features and idioms that are not generally found in other languages. There are already many good books about Python on the market; this book is intended as an introduction to computing. Features include the following: *Extensive use of computer graphics. *Interesting examples. *Readable prose. *Flexible spiral coverage. *Just-in-time object coverage. *Extensive end-of-chapter problems.
List Price: $ 45.00
Price: $ 38.29